Chi-Chi-Chi-Chia seeds, the superfood!
I love tapioca pudding…and anything with that delicious chewy texture for that matter. Unfortunately tapioca isn’t too carb-friendly (or paleo). Chia seeds, on the other hand, are among the healthiest foods on the planet and are jam packed with nutrients that are great for your body and brain! In theory, chia seeds are supposed to control hunger while powering your diet with super-nutrients.
A true superfood, an 1 ounce (about 2 tablespoons) serving of chia seeds contains approximately 11 grams of fiber, 4 grams of protein, 9 grams of fat (5 are Omega-3s) and 18% of the recommended dietary allowance of calcium. They are “whole-grain”, non-GMO and naturally free of gluten.
The best part about chia seeds is that you can throw a handful in a cup of almond or coconut milk, cover and refrigerate and by morning you have delicious chia pudding! It doesn’t get any easier than that for a healthy yet delicious breakfast or snack.
A few additional highlights on the benefits of chia seeds include:
- Chia seeds are low calorie (approximately 137 calories in 1 ounce).
- Chia seeds are packed with antioxidants that fight the production of free radicals which can contribute to aging and diseases such as cancer.
- Chia seeds can help with weight loss due to their high fiber and protein content (when combined with a healthy diet and lifestyle).
- Chia seeds can cause major improvements in Type 2 Diabetes and lower blood pressure and a marker for inflammation.
Check out my super easy and delicious chia pudding here!
- Blueberry Chia Pudding | The Paleo Panda - […] I love tapioca pudding…and anything with that deliciously chewy texture for that matter. Unfortunately, tapioca isn’t too carb-friendly (nor…